Thursday, May 10, 2012

Child-parents


So easy to rail at right-wing lunacy, anti-science, intellectual relativist, etc., in the abstract, but so complicated in the particular.  I came home to find my mom on-line; she greeted me with “did you know that asparagus can cure cancer?”  Okay.  We have all heard that raw vegetables have diffuse preventative properties.  But Mom had received a spam that swore that two tablespoons of pureed asparagus a day would actually zap cancer, and she BELIEVED it.  I was so depressed.  Mom.  Really.  And after she had been nattering the past few days about the pre-WWII Germans believing Nazi propaganda (she gets strange obsessions) to which Dad replied that Hitler was a great orator – right, Dad, I’m not surprised, because you think that Rush Limbaugh is, too.  Well, people will believe absolutely anything – that the Jews were responsible for inflation, that we are not causing climate change, and that asparagus cures cancer. 

At dinner over pannekoeken (which were too exotic for their Midwestern tastes) Dad demanded to know how I know that I am right that illegal aliens are not responsible for the problems with Medicare – this is our eternal argument.  How do I know that I am right about anything, that the huge divergence in incomes in the US is not good, that there were NO weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, that evolution took place, that the world is not 4,859 years or whatever it is old?  How indeed?  I don’t even know what to say to him. Because I spent several years as an undergrad, then many more as a PhD student, learning how to evaluate sources?  Because I do not inhabit Jacobean England?   Because I recognize the Enlightenment?  Do I really have to defend science?  And what is so overwhelmingly disorienting is that I have often deconstructed the type of knowledge produced by science.  But when push comes to shove, and I am asked to opt in favor of asparagus as a cure for cancer and chemo, I’m going with the chemo.

In the abstract I loathe the lunatic fringe, the fat, self-righteous people in mom-jeans, blithering inarticulately about God, natural law, and the Constitution.  I hate it that they have turned my parents into people who not only refuse to think but who are proud of not thinking.  But the individuals, the individuals.  I see Dad with his mournful expression and bug-like face, with his big glasses and eyebrows like tumbleweeds, Mom with her cotton-candy perm and seersucker blouses, and I just want to cry with the excruciating tenderness of it all.  They are like little kids.  They are kids who never did very well in school and now they have grown-ups who whisper, the folks at Fox, who pull them aside, tell them secrets, get them to be complicit, tell them that they are as smart as the people with degrees.  Of course they are thrilled.

But I also hate it that after ostracizing me throughout my childhood as a weirdo who always had her nose in book – just typing the words arouses a very bitter anxiety, oh look, that Tracy always has her nose in a book – the family has now ganged up on me with their spams proclaiming their pride at being rednecks.  What have I ever done to deserve this - except go to university in order to exercise my right to the pursuit of happiness? 

Okay, okay, take comfort in the knowledge that these little bursts of populist fervor erupt periodically and always vanish again into the malodorous swamp of superstition whence they emerged.  We can trace it in the conflict in Sophocles’s Oedipus – Oedipus rationally seeking the answer when he himself is the unknowing perpetrator of the crime; Savonorola and his bonfire of the vanities tailing the burst of Humanist learning.  The wingnuts will soon be chased back into their slough, just as Savonarola was burnt on the very spot of his bonfire. I know, I know, but it is a bitter recognition, that Mom and Dad will eventually be chased back into their hole  

No comments:

Post a Comment